>> KORMACURRY BLOG >>

This is where we share our world.

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Saving The Seagull



Two nights ago we had some fierce winds whipping through the Pacific NorthWest. Now, I'm no stranger to high winds after witnessing the roaring gails blasting down from Greenland over England - but I have to say these were the mightiest winds I've experienced.

I awoke in the night, cracked the blinds and watched the trees flail. "Woah!". After I could stand up no more I opened the blinds, crawled back into bed and watched the storm from the comfort of my warm blankets. Now that's luxury.

Next day the news reported the after-math. 200,000 people without power, chaos at the traffic lights, forget going to school. How about forget going to work?

Heading down the road checking out the damage I came across this poor bird on the sidewalk. It's wings obviously broken, as it desperately tried to fly. It had a look in it's eye and a manner that seemed to say "Bugger, my wings are bloody broken!" I felt really bad for it, so I dashed of to work to call the animal shelter.

Now, it's been my experience that a friend in need is a friend indeed. There's been times where the compassion of perfect strangers have come to my aid. So for me, this poor bird needed some help and I've learnt the lesson of how we all depend on one-another.

Arriving at work, I entered 'situation commander' mode and mobilised help for the bird. Firing up Google I got the numbers. First I contacted animal rescue but their power was out. Next, I contacted the emergency number, yes! someone answered. Now the dilemma - Do they care about seagulls? Are they pissed off they steal their french-fries at Granville Island? No! they cared! The dude took down the details - location, my contact info and I asked him to call me back with an update. He said "I will!, but sometimes they get blown around in the wind and he might not be there, but I''ll look around the gardens if he's missing" .. 10 minutes later! 10 minutes later! Flash-Gordon (my new name for the animal dude) was on the phone "Hey Kormacurry, I've got him, he's OK. I'm taking him off to the animal shelter". Nice one Flash! The bird was saved and off for some re-habilitation.

I've named the bird REIVER, after my old-skool posse back in the borderlands of England/Scotland. Flash gave me the number for the animal shelter, so I think I'll be checking in on Reiver and posted updates on his recovery!