>> KORMACURRY BLOG >>

This is where we share our world.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

180

This is my first video game, published in 1986! by Mastertronic Games. Mastertronic had been having a lot of success selling budget games for 1.99 at the time, so they launched a new brand - Mastertronic Added Dimension brand (MAD games) which sold for 2.99. This was one of the first games on the brand. It turned out to be quite a hit, and was in the Budget Title Top 10 for a year.

I was working at Binary Design in Manchester, England in my 1st full time games programming job. There, I started my career, met a lot of my life long friends and had some great times. Lot's of stories, lots of laughs - I'll tell you a bunch over the next few months.


Checking out the retro gaming sites it's remembered well, which is Ace! A couple of my Canadian workmates - Spence & Dave, loved this game when they were teenagers. Small world! Small world! That really made my day.

This game took about 6 weeks to develop. I remember the boss coming upto me and informed me of the looming deadline. Deadline? What do you mean. HA! I was under the impression games were finished when they were finished.

My good friend Ste Pickford did the famous hands, and Pete Gartside is the voice behind the '180' sample. Jez did the bar scene graphics. At one point the bar maids boobs inflated as she pulled pints :) The boss went bonkers, which was lost on a bunch of 18 year old lads.

Here's a link to a review on Lemon64:

http://www.lemon64.com/index.php?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemon64.com/games/details.php%3FID%3D9

Ahhh, Happy Days!