>> KORMACURRY BLOG >>

This is where we share our world.

Monday, February 06, 2006

Jah Wobble


First some background ... Me and Dubmaster C noticed in the local whats-going-on paper - Georgia Straight that Jah Wobble was coming into town. We thought .."that'd be a good show to watch" and left it at that. A few days later I called my Mum up in England for a chat, and she goes "Do you know Jah Wobble?". What? "Do you know Jah Wobble?, he's playing Vancouver!". This is too much. Nevervously I respond "I do ... , and ... how do you know he's playing here?". "Ohhh your cousin is on tour with the band and has been trying to get hold of you!".. "Fantastic!, I'll have to head down and watch the show". She updated me on how he got his name from John Lydon, "You know, Johnny Rotten from the Sex Pistols". Now, I've always been proud/impressed of how much my Mum know's about bands/pop culture ... but this was all too much for me and my pre_coffee_sunday_morning_shuffle around the house.

Dubmaster picked up the tickets and the big night arrived. I haven't seen my cousin for 10 years, so I ended staring at every random person that kinda looked like the way I remember him. Much odd glances back from strangers. I was sat in the bar upstairs enjoying a nice euro_beer when I heard the mike check. ... in a Manchester accent. LOL! Looking over the balcony, I could see him .. so I headed down to the stage for a big hello/hug.



The show started.. 1st up.. a local Dub band. Excellent! What a treat to hear this music live. The only time I hear this music is in Dubmaster C's living room. :) The band was tight, lots of rimshots, echoe'y .. dubby.. spacey sounds clued by a tight Jamaican rythmn.


Jah Wobble came on with the dubby .. echoey ... spacey sound you'd expect but tonight ... a twist. English Roots music! Yes, 2 ladies sang old time English songs to all that space madness Jah put's out. It was REALLY GREAT! Later in the set they had a jam session, and punctuated the songs with what seemed like war drum songs.

Afterwards we met my cousin and adventured Vancouver - which deserves it's own posting :)