>> KORMACURRY BLOG >>

This is where we share our world.

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Frisco Kids


We're off to San Franscisco later this week - we are thrilled. San Fran is special to us as we've had many great times there together, with friends, with family and I spent a summer in the Santa Cruz mountains years ago.

In '95, the airlines had 2-1 for sales, so M and I would pop down from Seattle for the weekend. We did this a bunch of times and stayed in Haight-Ashbury at this great place called the Red Victorian. It's a bed & breakfast with themed rooms, kool atmosphere and travellers from around the planet. We soon got our favourite places which we'd frequent on our visits. Inevitably on these trips we'd run into a bunch of freaks and great adventures would ensue.

So what about that summer? Well, itching with dreams of travel, tired of MadChester, tired of the most miserable of English bosses, tired of video-games I headed off to San Francisco to work on a summer camp in the Santa Cruz (just South-West of the City) mountains which turned out to be a massive experience.

My primary job was to run the Camp Store. LOL! My duties were to ...1... stock with supplies ...2... sell the stuff ...3... watch the kids with diets didn't exceed their candy quota ...4... manage the billing. I sold sweat shirts, water-bottles, t-shirts, candy & ice-creams. Additionally, I'd help out the office .. as they wanted me to answer the phones because of my British accent. hahhaha. "Ullo?, can a 'elp ya?"

I had my fave kids, who I'd let exceed their candy quoto. One time I over-stocked a bunch of Otter-pops (long ice pops). I figured the best way of getting rid of them was to give them away. So, I told the kids to all to move back and gang up on the grass and tossed*free* Otter-pops into the huddle, and watched the frenzy start. It was hilarious. A bunch of *free* 'pops later, it was time to save some for another day. Wrong idea!, the kids went nuts and stormed the store door ... knocked me flying, as I tried to stop them entering, and pinched the rest of them. LOL.

The summer rolled on and I settled into the role of camp store dude ... Hey! no computers, no talk of bytes, deadlines. I'd play my tunes - lost on the young ones, but the teenagers enjoyed it. They'd hang out on the grass and listen. I'd made good friends with my fellow travellers from Holland, Hungary & America. We'd all hang out, swim in the pool, go running (what!) and on our time-off head into San Francisco to explore. I got to know the city really well over the summer, checking out this and that. After a few months at the camp, me and my new friends travelled the US. After they left, I continued trekking around with my 3 month Amtrak pass. Epic times.

Anyways, we're really excited about returning this week. We'll be updating the blog whilst we're there, so check in.