>> KORMACURRY BLOG >>

This is where we share our world.

Friday, May 25, 2007

Star Wars Changed My Life!

You have to laugh, but you know - I do exclaim this every now again, because - it's true. Not so much the Wookies, or the Banthas - but more the Jedi Knights, the force - lol. The movie expanded my horizons, it gave me a lot to think about on all fronts - special fx, movie making, history, relevance, vocabulary, music, composition, concepts - a lot to chew over when your 9. I once knew someone who worked as a researcher at Lucasfilm. Georges office was down the corridor. I asked her to tell him this story from me. She did. Ace!

So, 9 years old in North Manchester. I used to head downtown with my friend. It was pre-arcade obsession, so we'd check out the best sellers section of books. Small town man. I noticed a book - "Star Wars". I was really intrigued by the movie prints in the centre. I checked it out for a few weeks, before telling my brother Renaissance Man about the book. "Can you go and get me a copy?" . I headed back downtown, got it for him, brought it home - and was impressed he read the first chapter! LOL! I think from this moment - it become huge for me.

Renaissance Man- entered a competition to check out the premier in Manchester. I did the same. It was a spot the difference deal, me and my Dad debated over the difference in rocks on the wall in the picture "mmm-G didn't pick them". Renaissance Man - won tickets to the premier, and come back with rave reviews. I couldn't wait to see it. A few weeks later he took me and B's brothers to watch it. It was such a big deal, my mum made me wear the suit I wore for my cousin's wedding. hahhaha. I felt really unfcomfrtable catching the bus downtown in a tweed suit, and polyester polo neck shirt.. hahahhahha. Anyways, I met Renaissance Man and off we headed into Manchester..

The line wrapped around the block, past the famous Oxford Rd chippy and around the bend. I picked up a 'programme' which I still have.

The movie started, I was gripped (sorted)- completely blown away. Erm, I even got all emotional when they got their medals at the end. "They really deserve them" HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA.

.. And so there it was, I got my Star Wars mates at school .. we'd banter about Jedi Knights, buy imported US Sci Fi Mags, dream of getting a Darth Vader helmet for Xmas -- rationalize in true modern economic terms how $200 was worth 10 minutes of Star Wars with no sound in black & white imported from the US. We'd dream of watching the film in in your own house -- and later look back on these days through VHS glasses - in fascinated complacency.

To summarize, like a meeting in the war_room - the take_away items were huge - they transformed my imagination, interest, focus and experience. All 30 years ago today. Wow.